Wales Rugby League



Welsh Premier League - Week 6 reports

16th June 2018, 16:00

Welsh Premier League - Week 6 reports

Two tries from Dean Higgs in the last 10 minutes of the game gave Valley Cougars a 12-6 win over Torfaen Tigers in the top of the table clash at Treharris RFC on Saturday.


By Ian Golden at Treharris RFC

Two tries from Dean Higgs in the last 10 minutes of the game gave Valley Cougars a 12-6 win over Torfaen Tigers in the top of the table clash at Treharris RFC on Saturday.

Despite the low scoring, it was an outstanding encounter with Torfaen leading at half-time thanks to a 36th minute try from Eauan Morries that Ieuan-Rhys Beal converted well, curling the ball between the sticks.

The try was only scored when both sides were down to 12 men, after Cougars’ Danyl Davies and Tigers’ Darrel Moyle were sinbinned for their part in a scuffle.

Handling errors did play a part in the low score, but that’s not to take it away from the outstanding defensive performance from both sides throughout.

Shane Lee kicked well for the Cougars and was unlucky not to set up more than one try, whilst Torfaen’s Morries could have had a hat-trick of tries. Louie Pengelly and Josh Symonds were also close to scoring for the Tigers in the first half.

It was end to end action in the second half. Anthony Noonan and Ethan Coombes were both close for the Cougars whilst Davies was short of the line in another opportunity.

Tigers’ best chance for a second half try came 15 minutes before the end. Dai Brunnock kicked forward three times soccer style but his final boot took the ball over the deadball line.

When Cougars’ Rhys Davies was perhaps harshly sent off for retaliation moments later, it looked like that it would be Torfaen’s game, but the Cougars fought back with spirit and Higgs’ tries in the 70th and 74th minute were scored when his side were down to 12 men. Ben Jones converted both to seal a very hard-fought victory.



Rhondda Outlaws fought hard for a dramatic 30-26 win over Bridgend Blue Bulls at Pyle.

They scored the winner in the last few minutes of the game after Bridgend had fought their way back into the encounter.

Rhondda led for much of the game and scored first through a Jackson Huntley try. The referee gave Max Hendy's conversion despite appeals that the ball had perhaps gone under the bar.

An unconverted Tom Hale try made it 10-0 to Rhondda before Bridgend got their first of the day through Jo Williams that Gareth Howells converted.

Mark Jones then Dean Whatley scored unconverted tries to extended Outlaws' lead to 18-6 before Bridgend's comeback started in earnest after the break.

First Nathan Hawkins scored with Howells adding the goal.

Dai Pound followed him over in the corner with the conversion missed.

Then Rhys Pope's try, converted by Howells, made it 22-18, putting them in the lead for the first time in the game.

Rhondda regained the advantage through a Morgan Cross try converted by Chris Harris, but Bridgend went back into a 26-24 lead after Scott Walter's unconverted effort.

Then with two minutes to go, Jones broke a three-man tackle to run 30 metres to score Rhondda's winner and Hendy putting the icing on the cake with the conversion.



In the battle of the Cardiff sides, the Blue Dragons were too good for Athletic, but the match was ended early after a serious head injury to two players.

Will Poole from the Blue Dragons and Morgan Cochran of Athletic clashed heads, causing the referee to blow for full time. The players and coaches were still at the ground four hours later waiting for the second ambulance, the first turning up after an hour!

The injuries marred what was a good defensive performance by the Blue Dragons. They attacked well too with Duane Iles scoring a brace of tries with Dom King and Jamie Leech following him over. Lewis Bratcher converted three times.