23rd November 2018, 16:35
Champion Schools 2018-19 kicks off
West Wales Raiders are now assisting Wales Rugby League in their Champion Schools delivery in the south of Wales with the games having kicked off this week.
There are ten schools, six of which are Welsh speaking, involved over five academic years playing in knockout competition with a number of new names.
Caerphilly county based Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni for example are preparing to field two sides from each age group, some based out of their main campus in Blackwood and more from their newer branch in Gwyndy, Caerphilly.
The national year 7 final is at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 24th August 2019, held as part of a triple header of matches that includes the famous Rugby League Challenge Cup Final. Previous winners of the tournament include Cardiff's Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf and Brynteg Comprehensive School from Bridgend, and those two schools met on Thursday at year 7 level with Glantaf winning 46-6.
The first game of the season took place a day earlier, also in year 7 as Croesyceiliog School beat St John Baptist, Aberdare 20-14.
South of Wales proposed competing Champion Schools sides with years...
- Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Bro Edern, Cardiff - 9/10/11
- Brynteg Comprehensive School, Bridgend - 7/8/9/10/11
- Croesyceiliog School, Cwmbran - 7/9/10
- Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, Blackwood - 7/8/9/10/11
- Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, Y Gwyndy, Caerphilly - 7/8/9/10/11
- Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf, Cardiff - 7/8/9/10/11
- St John Baptist Church in Wales School, Aberdare - 7/9/10
- St Joseph's Roman Catholic High School, Newport - 7/8/9/10/11
- Ysgol y Strade. Llanelli - 7/8/9/10/11
- Ysgol Gymareg Ystalyfera Bro Dur - 9/10